Tuesday, October 16, 2012

October 16, 2012

Today was an exciting day because I had my weekly excursion to the grocery store (I know, just let the thrill of shopping hit you...I'll wait). My current side venture is to either purchase a new spice, vegetable or fresh herb when I visit the grocer; today's winner was SWEET BASIL...haven't quite gotten the courage to purchase the HUGE GINGER ROOT in the produce section.  I also picked up one of my new favorite cuts of beef, CARNE PICADA. Carne picada is a shredded beef that can be cooked (browned) in under 5 minutes to tender perfection. I use this particular cut in STIR FRIES, STEWS, SPANISH DISHES and SALADS. I also brought plenty of fruits and cheese for my children. **FUN FACT: Did you know that GRAPES have the highest SUCROSE/SUGAR content out of all the fruits and ONIONS have the highest for vegetables? So, instead of FRUIT SNACKS and JUICE , take GRAPES and WATER to your kid's next sporting event and he/she will get all the carbs and hydration needed. Instead of cooking your meals with added sweeteners like SUGAR or KETCHUP try using SAUTEED ONION for added sweetness and bite in a savory dish**. So, my field trip to the grocery store was very productive.


No comments:

Post a Comment