Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Thanksgiving Day

The day before and the day of Thanksgiving were very exciting. I cooked all the dishes that would taste better the next day, I.e. green beans, sweet potatoes and desserts, on the Eve of Thanksgiving. I also rearranged my home to accommodate for entertaining adult guests and not children. I did have a few hiccups during the process. While making my SWEET POTATO PIES, I accidentally put in 1/2 cup of baking soda instead of 1/2 teaspoon; needless to say, my pies looked like a science experiment...but thank goodness for tasting because those pies hit LA BASURA (the trash) as soon as they cooled. I was able to make one more pie using my homemade, flaky crust and the correct measurements of ingredients. I also caramelized some pecans fresh from my friend's tree and drizzled the candied nuts on top of the pie. My final disaster happened while the turkey was roasting. I tend to roast my turkey overnight at a very low heat (250°) while basting every 2 hours. Well four hours in, I awoke to a semi-smoke-filled kitchen. My oven has a glitched (that was supposedly repaired last month) were the temp increases to about (500°) on its own. Thank goodness the temp had only increased for approximately 30 minutes because the turkey was beautifully golden and juicy...the smoke was due to the drippings in the pan burning. So, two burns on my right hand and several hours later, the gathering was a success. My table was exquisitely decorated by yours truly and the guests loved the dishes that my Honey made as well. After Thanksgiving Day ended, I gave my daughters a break and I tackled ALL the dishes; then, I literally hibernated, reading books for 3 days.





No comments:

Post a Comment